Dyer Land & Cattle Company

 
  
Dyer Land & Cattle Company
   
Acreage: 342.00 ± Deeded Acres
  620.00 NM State Lease Acres
  962.00 Total Acres 
   
Location: Approximately 2 miles southwest of Magdalena, New Mexico along and on the west side of State Road 107.
   
Access: State Road 107 along with privately maintained interior roadways.
   
Grazing Capacity: The grazing capacity of the Dyer Ranch is owner-controlled at the discretion of the ranch owner. New Mexico State University rates the area to be able to sustain one animal unit on 80 acres on an annual basis. Total grazing capacity under normal rainfall is estimated to be between 12 and 14 animal units yearlong.
   
Description: This small ranch unit is ideal for someone searching for the rural lifestyle and the western way of life. The property is located approximately 2 miles southwest of the small community of Magdalena, NM along and adjacent to State Highway 107. The ranch is partitioned into three pastures each with a permanent source of water. Livestock and domestic water is provided by three wells and an underground pipeline system. The wells are equipped with one windmill and one electric submersible pump. One well is currently not in service. Water depth varies from 65 feet to 85 feet. The headquarters is situated in the center of the property with a nice set of cattle working pens of pipe construction.

Wildlife in the immediate area of the ranch includes mule deer and elk, which on occasion may be visible from the front or back porch of the residence. The Cibola National Forest is located just across Highway 107 that provides public access for hiking, hunting, horseback riding and other recreational activities.
   
Terrain: The terrain is characterized by extreme relief, high fault block mountains of igneous rock and broad structural basins such as the Plains of San Augustine. The ranch is gently sloping with intermittent hills and drainages. The primary forage includes several varieties of grama grass. Tree cover consists of piñon pine, cedar and juniper, which provides protection for wildlife and livestock during inclement weather.
   
Area Data: The Spanish exploration of the area that was to become Socorro County began with the expedition of Don Juan de Onate Coronado in 1540. The expedition reached the area in June of 1598. Onate gave the name Socorro, which means aid, to the Pueblo of Pilabo, commemoration the food and assistance given his party by the natives. The Spanish colonies were abandoned in 1680 because of hostilities associated with the Pueblo Indian Revolt in northern New Mexico. The Spanish reconquered New Mexico in 1693, but the town of Socorro and the surrounding villages were not resettled until 1816. Large grants of land given by the King of Spain aided in the resettlement efforts. Two of these land grants now make up most of the Bosque del Apache and Sevillita National Wildlife Refuges. Socorro County grew rapidly in the 1880’s following the end of the Apache Indian wars and the arrival of the Sante Fe Railroad. Rich mineral deposits in the nearby mountains allowed Socorro to become the mining and smelting center of the southwest. Livestock ranching also stimulated growth in the county. Cattle and sheep by the tens of thousands were driven across the Plains of San Augustine to the railhead at Magdalena.

Magdalena was named by the Spanish for “The Lady of the Mountain”, a rock formation on Magdalena Peak overlooking the community. Magdalena continues to be a ranching community while strengthening its art, astronomy and geology venues. The reopening of the Magdalena Hotel (circa 1917) and renovation of other historical buildings allow visitors to connect with the past. The town was known as the “Trails End” for the railroad spur line that was built in 1885 from Socorro to Magdalena to transport the cattle, sheep, wool, timber and ore. Thousands of were driven into town (cowboy style) from the west utilizing the historic “Magdalena Trail”. This stock driveway was used annually from 1885 through 1916 when the driveway was officially designated by law through the signing of the “Grazing Homestead Act”. It was continually used until 1971. The original stockyards are still intact.
   
Price: $650,000.00


     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

 
 
 
Home  |  About/Bio  |  Ranches  |  Farms  |  Sold Properties  |  Appraisals  |  Management  |  Contact
Copyright é ²013 by Bar-M Real Estate. All rights reserved. Website design by websitedesigner.com